• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Monday, July 18, 2011

new york new york :: part 4


This post will be all of the little adventures we got in to on Tuesday day five in New York... the majority of our day was spent at The Met which will be divided in to its own post, or more likely two tomorrow (and possibly Wednesday)!


tuesday (7/5) :: day 5
In the morning me and Pat got up and ready to head to The Met for the day, but more on that tomorrow. We decided to hoof it there so we could check out Central Park first, which was about a twenty minute walk. It was really hot outside already! We went in to a little bakery and grabbed some coffee and then wandered around "The Mall" area of the park for a while where the famous big fountain is (as pictured). You can spend a ton of time in the park and never get to every area, or even find all of the cool stuff that is hidden around. It is pretty amazing.

[[ central park. "the mall" area. ]]


After the museum (which lasted about five hours), we wandered back through the park to the Boathouse restaurant for some breakfast/lunch. A word of advice, make sure to eat before spending the entire day in a museum! We were starving. Oh, also do not wear flat "gladiator" sandals with no support at all. Anyway, we grabbed a table at the restaurant and ordered some appetizers. Luckily they were delicious because our waiter was super rude and hardly even acknowledged us. Thanks guy. We probably would have walked out if the food was crappy too. I got the impression that the other young couples around us felt the same. Seriously, don't judge people based on how they look, or their age, thanks. Our plan was to eat some lunch and then rent a row boat to paddle around the pond, but by the time we were done eating they had JUST closed. Whomp whomp whomp. Next time. (Pat really wanted to ride on those, which I thought was a bit odd for him... but I will explain that when I catch up to it).

[[ bakery from the morning. the boathouse. ]]

[[ mini sail boats in the park. awesome alice in wonderland statue we randomly stumbled across. ]]


We walked back to the hotel and took a nap and shower before heading out for dinner. Adil's friend Ali had told us about a hidden burger place in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel that was super low brow, so we decided to check it out. It is named quite simply "The Burger Joint", and you have to walk through the lobby, find the neon burger sign, and pull back the curtain to reveal a tiny room with a grill, movie posters everywhere, eclectic lighting, and writing all over the walls. They serve burgers only, cheese or no cheese with all the "fixins", Sam Adams on tap, fries, and only take cash. Now, I have never been one to eat a burger... in fact, since I was a little girl I strongly disliked them, but I was hungry, and you have to go with it sometimes. I got a cheeseburger with everything on it and I ate the entire thing. I sort of shocked even myself with that one. Oh, I should also mention that to get a table you have to battle people, I saw an opening and ran towards it beating this other couple who did not look very happy with me. In my defense I did invite them to share with us and she was simply not having it. Pat said he thought it was the Oregonian in me making me feel guilty. The coolest thing about this place was that there were signatures on every surface of wall in the place, so I got to leave our mark. Unfortunately all I had with me was some bright red lipstick, but I was not going to let that stop me. I finished my beer, stood up on the table and marked P+J up as high as I could reach. I promptly got yelled at for standing up in the booth, but it was worth it! Now we are in there "forever". I will have to have my sister or one of her friends check up on that for me occasionally. If you ever go, it is surrounded by a heart right next to the "Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke" poster.

[[ the burger joint. cheese burger. me. lipstick/writing utensil. our mark. cooks. the wall of signatures. ]]


Times Square was in close proximity to our hotel, so after dinner we decided what the hell, lets go walk around for a little while and check it out. That place is nuts. There are so many people, and it is so incredibly bright! Sensory overload! We checked out a few places, snapped some pictures, and then dipped in to an Irish Pub off the main street for another drink before heading in for the night at who knows what time. It was a long, but an awesome day.

[[ times square madness. ]]