• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

weekend adventures 27
part II - concert adventure

It was just too hard to try and fit everything into my weekend adventures for this week, so the concert gets its very own post. I know it is Wednesday, and I am supposed to do my midweek inspiration today, but to be honest, I have been, and still am sick, and just am not feeling all that inspired this week, so I am bending the rules slightly to work with me. 


(the adventure)
So, I noticed on the Deftones website that there was talk of a special little giveaway they were doing in honor of Record Store Day (on Saturday)... basically, the first 50 people in line for the Friday night show would receive a copy of their new record, titled "Covers" which was not scheduled to be released until the following day... BUT here is the kicker, it would be SIGNED by each band member. Well, call me crazy but I love the Deftones, and thought that would be pretty cool to get my hands on, especially since Pat was unable to attend the show, and once I get an idea in my head, I tend to go through with it. Doors were scheduled to be at 7, we got to the Crystal Ballroom at 4, and there were already people waiting outside. After a quick headcount we realized that we had made it there early enough! Now, we just had to hold down our spots for three hours. 

Three hours quickly turned into 4 hours since doors opened late. As amped as we were at first to stand in the rain with our hoods on, barely noticing the cold... By the time we got inside I literally could not feel my toes (which did not warm up for over an hour no joke), or my fingers, and I was shaking uncontrollably from being frozen! Not to mention that my throat hurt, I assumed from the amounts of people smoking cigarettes continuously near by (gross). BUT the second the bouncer came outside and handed me my very own signed record it was all worth it!!! Success!!!


[[ standing in line. little red. the crystal. crowd. bored = funny faces. very cold feet. we got our records! cracked ceiling brings rain inside. deftones merch. signatures and secret messages. the stage. ]]


(the concert)
Doors opened, and record in hand we shuffled in and run up three? four? flights of stairs to the balcony to grab some seats. (If you have ever been to this venue before you know that there are hardly any seats, and that you have to get there super early to claim one). Spots saved, we headed back downstairs to the merch booth to take a look. They had some pretty cool stuff down there, expensive though. I scooped up a shirt for myself, and one for Pat (shh, its a secret, I am pretty confident he wont read through this). I can't even remember the last time I bought myself a band shirt, it has certainly been a while. This one is sweet though, I am excited to work it in to my wardrobe. We grabbed some pizza for dinner (so happy they had food there) and some drinks and took our seats. Two mediocre opening bands down and they were up! 

The show was amazing!!! They played a TON of songs in a two hour set. I was seriously amazed when they played "Passenger", which was the song that my entire Expressive Typography class was based off of. They opened with "Diamond Eyes" off their new album, and closed with "Back to School" classic. Other noteworthy songs performed were: "Elite", "Be Quiet and Drive", "Digital Bath", "Change in the House of Flies", "Minerva", "Knife Party", "Sex Tape", "You Came to See the Butcher", and "My Own Summer". Though there were more. They did a really good job varying new with the old. Oh, frontman Chino also randomly started singing "Material Girl" by Madonna during one transition. It was hilarious. They had really cool visuals playing the the background throughout the show as well, hard to describe. Oh, by the way, it was literally raining SOO much outside, that the ceiling inside was leaking water. Yea. Pretty sure that is not up to code.... Sketchy. 

I took some video, but my camera filled up really quick :( I promptly bought a much larger card the next day, but the damage was done. I did get lots of pictures though! Here are some of the good ones. 


[[ snapshots of the deftones performing. ]]

Standing outside in the rain definitely pushed my immune system over the edge and made me sick, but the reward was soooo worth it! I need to bust out my Nikon and take some better pictures of the album before I get it framed. I will surely post those on here when I get them done.