• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Friday, October 1, 2010

closure part I.


first things first. 
Today is the first day of October, which to me (based on the strangely warm Oregon weather as of late), marks sort of the beginning of the fall season in general, and an end to the summer months and all of the emotional events they brought with them this year. Though I am sad to see carefree summer go away for what seems like an eternity (and I know once we are covered in perpetual rain I will regret admitting this), I am ready for a change, ready to move on. August was really hard. September was REALLY hard. And now that we are into October I feel like I have a fresh start, and new things to be excited about! For example... candy corn, pumpkins, anything pumpkin scented or flavored, Halloween(!), being surrounded by pretty colors as the leaves change, bundling up inside relaxing with some hot chocolate and Pat on a rainy day (wishful thinking), and the seasonal October movies such as: Hocus Pocus, The Addams family series, and anything Tim Burton(!!).


second, and more importantly. 
Tomorrow is Johni's memorial service in Estacada. me and Pat, and I am sure a ton of people we have not seen in a few years will be there. I am extremely nervous about it! I have never been to anything like this before, and I have no idea what to expect. On the other hand, I am extremely happy that we are able to be there to remember her and say goodbye. I know it is going to be a really hard day, but I feel like it will provide some sense of closure and allow us to truly come to terms with the fact that she is gone, and hopefully in a much better place. (Again, not being religious, I am still not really sure what that means, but I would love to believe it for her).


( Side note, Johni loved to paint and play with types of printmaking. Abstract trees were one of her favorite subjects. The branches were always twisting in strange new patterns filled with a lot of movement. She was also really good at blending colors with acrylic paints. Something I have yet to master. Below are three of her pieces. The bottom one her take of a self portrait. She also did a really awesome wood carving based loosely on Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven' that I love and wish I had to post. )
[[ lovely work by johni keller ]]