• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

california adventure 3 :: day 3 part II
the standard hotel, downtown los angeles




monday (10/22) :: day 3 
(continued...)

I was trying to get all of day three in to one post, but there was just no way to do it with the plethora of pictures I took while we were at The Standard, so, I decided this awesome hotel warranted its very own post. 

Me and Leah found ourselves in downtown Los Angeles with a little time to kill and ended up at The Standard Hotel basking in the sun on their rooftop. This was my favorite part of the trip! The Standard is such a weird hotel, but I loved it! The design is such a mix of business man with a lot of '60s kitch and contemporary media. I am not really sure how else to describe it...

We went through the lobby first, which had all kinds of crazy cushions to longue on and flashing purple lights (pretty standard?), later as we left there was even a DJ spinning down there. They also had an in house "barber shop", a sunglass kiosk (with all the good stuff), a "magazine stand" with a ton of indie covers, red phones hanging all over the walls, as well as old school phone booths, and an old electric keyboard that I tried to play. The bathroom also warrants a mention... In the ladies room there were little vanity mirrors with purple stools set up over adorable '60s inspired floral wallpaper, I now reget not peaking in to the mens room to see what they had going on in there. The sinks were in a common wash area outside of each bathroom, and there was a giant (and ridiculous) photo on the wall that was highly entertaining, as well as a photobooth tucked away in the corner (which was unfortunately broken while we were there).

[[ floral bathroom wallpaper. panty dropping mural. golden/yellow restaurant. ]]


[[ the standard hotel: sweet keyboard in the lobby. chandelier. the bathroom area. directions. elevator. velvet & gold. ]]


After checking out the lobby, we made our way through the labyrinth of hallways and stairwells to find ourselves outside in the sunshine on the huge rooftop bar. A little extra surprise was a bar within a bar since their rooftop not only boasts amazing views of the city, a pool, a ton of cozy outdoor seating, fireplaces, a full bar, and waterbeds (yes, waterbeds), but there is also a German themed beer garden area complete with its own menu, beer selection, and ping pong table. If I was local to Los Angeles I am pretty sure I would live up there. 

Me and Leah lounged around at the pool for a bit while we were waiting for Catherine to get off work (and the weather I might add, was perfect). Eventually we made our way over to what we thought were little cabana cushions, so imagine my surprise when I jumped on to one to discover that it was not solid at all, but actually an outdoor waterbed! That is where Catherine eventually found us, and we jumped around for a while before heading to the bar for a drink and a snack. We also sort of took over the bar area and turned it in to our phone charging stations, luckily we had a very nice bartender who did not mind us at all. Here are the bulk of the rooftop pictures I took. 



[[ the standard rooftop bar area. city views. us. an overview of the bar & pool longue area. blue skies. pool chairs. aqua water. cabana waterbeds. me & leah being silly and photoboothing. ]]


While we were exploring the German beer garden area, adorned with signage in German, Leah and Catherine got in to a serious game of ping pong... and I have to say, Leah is not too bad. I was terrible, but I tried. I feel like Pat would have really liked this place...

[[ backwarden. willkommen. trinken. pinkpong time. ]]


Before we left the rooftop I made sure to take a bunch of panoramic pictures of the various areas. Check them out. 





[[ iphone panoramics of the rooftop. CLICK TO SEE LARGER. ]]