Wednesday, June 13, 2012

weekend adventures 59

Sorry for the silence Monday & Tues, I was still in Portland with mi familia having a jam packed weekend. And, Oh. My. God. Let me tell you, this weekend was insane. So much running around I don't even know how I stayed awake for it all... Details from both concerts will be in their own posts, as well as the bulk of Meagan's Graduation pictures, if you are wondering. I have a ton of pictures...

Me and Pat drove up to Portland in the late afternoon to spend the weekend with my familia. We went with all the kids to pick up my Grandparents from the airport. These were my Dad's parents who I had not seen since I was 18 or 19. Right when my Grandma saw me she gave me a big hug and said "Jennifer, it has been too damn long." Next we headed downtown to Irving Street Kitchen for some fried chicken and delicious dinner family style. The food was great, as always, and it was awesome to be catching up with my Grandparents, plus, Leah was in town, so all around good things. After dinner me, Pat, and Leah went to the Rogue Public House right up the street so that he could get the Rose Festival Ale for his collection, and then ended the night at North 45 for a drink before bedtime.

[[ irving street kitchen. thank you letter. pat & sleepy j. bottles. ]]

This whole day was complete and utter chaos... We spent all morning/afternoon prepping food for Meagan's Grad Party which was in the evening. So. Much. Food. When we were finally finished there was an overwhelming amount of friends, family, and children in our not so gigantic house. Though it was nice visiting with everyone, I was kind of relieved when it was time for me and Pat to head out to the Thrice show downtown.

[[ meagan's grad party and awards. ]]

I am not going to go in to the details of either concert until I can give each their own post, but I will put in a little visual preview in the meantime. I took a ton of pictures both nights. I will say that Thrice night consisted of not only their main concert set, but also a secret little show in a random parking lot. More details to come when I get a chance.

After the show, and secret show, me, Pat, Megan, and Tony headed to Montage (our favorite) for some super late dinner and a night cap. We closed the place down bellies full of macaroni and some sweet 90's Mariah Carey jams which were playing at the restaurant. Me and Megan may or may not have been singing to each other... and whoever else happened to be listening. I love that place. I got the best leftover wrap job this time too... its a squirrel!

[[ the roseland. me/megan. bathroom stall artwork. thrice teaser. montage leftovers. ]]

monday (busiest day of all time)
After getting home super late and sleeping on my parents living room floor (for lack of beds/couches) I was a little tired in the morning and hesitant to get up right away. However I had made an appointment for me and my sisters to get mani/pedis at 10, so alas, up I went. My family decided to go to Helvetia Tavern for lunch, which is right up the street from my dads place and has really yummy burgers. I had a their home made garden burger, and it was delicious. Then it was back home where we all got ready before sitting in traffic for an hour along Germantown road. Finally we arrived at UofP for Meagan's graduation. We were early this time so that there was time to take pictures, which we did, a lot. We were definitely one of the loudest groups in attendance as well, it was awkwsome (awkward+awesome). We cheered like idiots when Meagan walked out to take her seat, when they recognized seniors who won state competitions this year, and when she walked on stage to get her diploma, I think people got the point. We love our little and are very proud of her. (Did I already brag about her winning the Marques Nettles Memorial Scholorship as well? I was definitely not that much of a bad ass in high school).

[[ lunch at helvetia tavern. ]]

[[ graduation teaser. ]]
((( more images from graduation to follow tomorrow )))

Unfortunately right after Meagan was done me and Pat had to take off early and haul ass to make it to The Used show downtown at The Roseland. Same venue, two nights, two bands. We made it in amazingly good time through a series of green lights and some moderate speeding... Again, I will save the details of this show for its own post when I get the chance.

[[ the used teaser. ]]

After the show was over (amazing by the way), and I was all nice and gross/tired from being down on the floor, I had to run to the car and head for Grad Night, which I had volunteered to work at for the second time. Although the venue this year was in Vancouver Washington (right above Portland), I somehow managed to navigate my way there successfully and quickly. Thanks iPhone. I was singing directions the whole way so I wouldn't forget... haha, maybe this is my new tactic. "Exit 8, exit 28..." True story.

I was really worried about being late, but as it turns out I got there right after the rest of my siblings who were also helping out. After quickly changing my clothes, for the fourth time mind you, we set up the equipment and started doing airbrush tattoos. There were a ton of kids, including this one guy who came back to my station at least a dozen times. I was seriously glad to have help this year. Four hours later, we were wrapping it up (around 4am). I definitely was not as exhausted last year as I was this time, though of course last year I did not have a concert in between. I was sooo happy when we were finally done, but it was fun to be able to see my little and some of her friends having fun throughout the night.

This time when we left I made sure to have a passenger to keep me company/awake during the drive home. This proved fairly successful because unlike last year I did manage to park against the curb/sidewalk, not completely on top of it in my mostly asleep state. I was not only thankful to be home, but also that I could sleep in Meagan's room this time on a bed since there were less guests at the house. I don't even know what time we got to bed, sometime around 5am. In fact, the newspaper man handed us our newspaper as we were walking inside from our cars because he was already out delivering them.

After sleeping in as long as I possibly could I went out with my dad and little sister for a while. I don't even know how I spent my whole day in Portland, I was so tired and delirious. Eventually I brought myself to set out on the long drive home, so I said my goodbyes to everyone and headed out. It felt glorious to sleep in my own actual bed.

Told you last weekend was a lot of business. Phew. Normally I would have split this in to two, but it is a short week for me and I already have too much stuff I am putting off as it is!