• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

new york new york :: part 3-1
independence day




monday (7/4) :: day 4
Me and Pat spent the afternoon together exploring the area around our hotel. We went into FAO Schwartz to play around for a little bit before hoping on the subway to Brooklyn to meet up with Leah. I have to say, I was expecting the toy store to be much more epic, but according to Pat the one in Seattle is better, I will take his word on that for now.

[[ good morning nyc. ]]

[[ playing at the toy store: four of my childhood favorites. pat loves candy, yoda, and harry potter. giant fluffy dog. my nerd. barbie foozeball. spiderman & captain america. i love bunnies. us. the animal kingdom. ]]


It was so hot outside!! Definitely no sweaters for me. Right after we met up Pat wanted a smoothy, and I was really craving some ice cream, so I found a little truck that had home made flavors, even mint chocolate chip with mint from Oregon! I got the mocha though, yum yum. We walked around a bit by the waterfront which was a really nice little park. I like Brooklyn a lot, it reminds me of Portland. At this point we were hungry so we stopped in a little Korean place for some udon which Pat was craving. Thankfully while we were in there it cooled off a bit and was much more ideal. It seemed sort of weird how everyone was just out and about like it was any normal day, I guess because on the 4th here we typically post up at the beach, or someones yard early and have food and drinks all day. but in NYC it was business as usual.

[[ brooklyn boardwalk... it was extremely windy as indicated by my hair. ]]


Leah's friend Mary was having a party on the rooftop of her building for independence day, so before heading over we stopped in a grocery store to pick up some snacks and beers. I have to say, I was expecting her place to be a little bit more... modern? new? Like Leah's building (which is very nice)... but after a town car ride over I realized that we were in a completely different kind of Brooklyn. All of the buildings were older and there were literally children playing in busted fire hydrants up the street. I had no idea people really did that! It was pretty cool though, Leah explained that this was the area that a lot of artists live in together, and her friend Mary was no exception. We entered her old brick building and climbed up several sets of narrow steps adorned with graffiti to reveal the rooftop with the most amazing view of the city! It was truly incredible! We all stood, talked, drank some beers, and watched the sun go down behind the city. By far one of the most amazing sunsets of my life, and I got a ton of great pictures. (To be posted on the following post). Eventually Ali, Christel, and Adil showed up as well, just in time for the fireworks which were exploding all around us.




[[ buildings and faces from earlier. another kind of brooklyn living. amazing sunset. ]]


We left pretty quickly after the show ended however, because there were a ton of people on the roof and obviously we did not know anyone so it was sort of awkward. We headed back in to the city with Ali and his lady to grab some food. The place we went to was a 24 hour restaurant called L'Express. I got a yummy pear martini and me and Pat shared some roasted chicken. Though the food was pretty tasty our server was not impressed with us and was extremely rude. I broke a plate, not on purpose, but it just added to the whole thing. Regardless, it was another great day, and bedtime followed.


** ((( firework/sunset images to follow on the next post ))) **