• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

scallywags

Last night we went and saw the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and I have to say I quite liked it. In my opinion the story in the third one began to spiral out of control because there were so many different plots and character developments going on within the one story. This one is much more simple, back to basics I guess.

It feels sort of like the first film was its own story, the second two were one story, and this is now starting a new adventure. It was left completely open too... I seriously wonder how many of these they are going to make!? They have pretty much proven that the only person they need on board is Johnny Depp and the series can continue. Perhaps they are having a battle with Harry Potter?

I really liked the introduction of Mermaids in this one, possibly because I wanted to be Ariel when I was a little girl. Another notable part is when Jack Sparrow and Barbosa are on the shipwrecked ship looking for the chalices and the camera draws our attention to a scene recreated from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. It involves a heavily adorned victorian bed surrounded by jewels. In the bed is a skeleton holding a magnifying glass that allows the viewer to see his enlarged teeth... sound familiar? I love how they did this in the first movie as well in a few different scenes. I wonder if there were nods to the ride in the second films I missed?

Here are a few screen shots from the film:


[[ screenshots from imdb.com ]]


Also I found this image of Astrid Berges-Frisbey, the actress who plays the mermaid Syrena, at the screening of the movie. I love her earring... I cannot tell if that is some sort of weird piercing or if it is just the jewelry (more likely) but I really like the look of it!