• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Thursday, April 14, 2011

deftones! deftones! deftones!

So tomorrow night the Deftones will be in Portland and I am going to their show in the Crystal Ballroom!!

I am so excited about it! They are one of my favorite bands by far and the only time I saw them before was back in 2006 at the Taste of Chaos with a ton of other bands, this should be a lot different. The only bummer is that Pat's work is sending him to Canada tomorrow afternoon and he will be gone for a whole week, therefore just barely missing the show. :( <--- Extra sad face. Literally not even five minutes after I bought us both tickets he found out. I know that he is extremely bummed out about it, and I am too! Music is such a big part of our relationship and I LOVE going to concerts together. They tend to tour quite a bit though, so I think we will get our chance. Me and Megan are also doing something kinda crazy tomorrow and lining up real early... but more on that later.


 


When I was in my second year of the design program in college we had to take Expressive Typography, and the basis of the entire term was around dissecting and translating music into, well, typography. Initially we were only told to pick a song, and knew nothing of the projects. I picked "Passenger" by the Deftones because it is so sexy to me and it has always really stood out. We began by doing a series of collages based off of the music itself, so i used a lot of layering and texture.

Next we were told to consider the emotions and feelings associated with our chosen song and translate that into a video utilizing visuals and minimal type to create a short. The song feels very sexual and a little bit naughty and dangerous even. I sort of think of it as if you have stumbled across something that you know you shouldn't be looking at, but can't look away. For my video I played off of the concept of embracing trust in regards to a new relationship and what that felt like for me personally at the time. While typography provides the main 'conversation' throughout, the figure in the background, sounds, and image treatment grant a sense of vulnerability. It was my intention to show the specific moment when I personally embraced the concept of trust and peeled away my layers. (I will load the actual short on here later on when I have access to it).


Finally we created an event poster for a hypothetical concert using the ideas that we had come up with thus far. I focused on the amount of energy evoked from the music, and my poster became more about a bursting sensation of light/sound/energy with a bit of grit to it, than simply an expression of tempo and layering, as represented in the two preliminary scan explorations.

[[ undergraduate studies from expressive typography. ]]