• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Monday, March 7, 2011

weekend adventures 21

I would not really say that I have a tremendous amount of exciting adventures to share with you... this weekend was more about getting things done, or at least started. There was also quite a bit of nerdy movie watching... thanks boys.

friday night
I was so stressed out from last week that it felt great to kick back and relax knowing that I did not have to be at work early in the morning. I don't know how we got on the topic... but Pat, surprised that I had not seen 'The Matrix' series, insisted that we start watching it. Most of the evening was good, except for a little mishap, so I guess you could call it relaxing-ish.


saturday
I was focused on the robot party and set out to find some costume making supplies. I honestly thought that I would be able to find some clothes at one of the very limited cheap clothing stores we have around town to go off of, but came up completely short handed after visiting Goodwill, Ross, and TJ Max. Left with no choice, I headed over to Home Depot, a place I absolutely HATE visiting! I always feel so out of place and confused when I have to go there alone. I do not know much about home repairs, in fact every single time I have gone there by myself I have been picking up paint or various "art" supplies.

I grabbed a shopping cart and just started wandering the aisles until I stumbled across some of the things I was looking for. I could not ask for help because the conversation would have gone as follows / "Hi, can I help you?" / "Yes, I am looking for that silver, metally, tubey stuff... you know the thick tubey stuff that is bendy, like in E.T., but smaller and silver..." / "..." / In fact, when I finally checked out with my silver metally tubey stuff, some hex bolts, washers, two cans of spray paint, and a lot of duct tape... the woman at the counter politely asked me what kind of project I was working on, and upon explaining that the materials were all for a robot costume she laughed and said "Ok good, I was worried you were actually trying to build something with all of this!"

[[ some of my robot building supplies. ]]

Saturday concluded with some well deserved drinks after all of that exploring and the next in the Matrix series, which was not nearly as good as the first one. I liked the concept of the films, the story is very intricate, but I did not really like the introduction of the village and all of the tribal elements, that took it away a bit for me. It seemed artificial, forced, and a bit corny at that point. I did like the introduction of the Frenchman and the ghosts though, that was totally weird and creepy, my favorite thing apparently.


sunday
Sunday was all work and no play. I completely secluded myself all day to my room (since I have no office anymore) and really got started on the wedding invitations I am freelancing. I think I got the main direction of the system worked out... I just have to put the elements together, mimic some materials, and create all of the little components before it is ready to be presented as the first draft to my client. I wish that I had more time to work on it during the week, it is hard to work on it for only an hour or two at a time when I get on a tangent... I feel like I need five hour blocks to really make the progress I am looking for... but during the week, I just do not have that luxury.

[[ the matrix series screenshots. ]]

Sunday concluded with?? Surprise, the last Matrix movie. So nerdy. This one was pretty cool special effects wise, but I still preferred all of the Matrix scenes as opposed to the Zion business... though visually interesting during the fight scenes, I still found it to be a bit cheesy. People sure take a long time to die in these movies... I also wonder if the sales of pleather and alternative looking sunglasses skyrocketed once the first one came out in 1999. Interesting series. More interesting concept. Visually awesome and really advanced for its time. Creepiest villain ever. Overall not a bad watch. Though I think that they did that Kung Fu "come here" hand motion too much. But, I do really like the overall story conceptually.