• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Thursday, October 21, 2010

i can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars...

(That is actually a lie, I have to hold on or I get scared)

First of all, I NEVER listen to the radio, like seriously, never. I hate it. Generally I am not missing out on anything at all, but sometimes things slip through the cracks. Second, I really like lyrics, writing them down in dingy old notebooks I have had since high school, and analyzing them. True story.

Have you heard this song? I bet you have.... its from like 2007, "Handlebars" by The Flobots. It is awesome. Somehow I had not heard it before this week (wahat?!?), Now that we have been introduced I am in love, and have been literally listening to it on repeat for two days.

The verses sound to me like a progression of life, from caring about things like comic books as a child, to beginning to come into your own, wanting to start a business and feeling liberated and righteous, to becoming power happy and obsessed, which I think is talking about how much power our government has with waging war and over our health care etc. "I can end the planet in a Holocaust...". The progression of the music builds throughout the song as well, becoming more and more dark and intense from the lighthearted beginning. Very political. Very poetic. Very interesting musically.

You should definitely give it a listen if you have not heard it before...

[[ awesome old bikes that sit outside my building. these pics seemed appropriate. (though, they are admittedly pretty bad quality). ]]

look at me look at me
driving and i wont stop.
and it feels so good to be alive and on top.
my reach is global. my tower secure. 
my cause is noble. my power is pure.