• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Thursday, February 21, 2013

some day, they'll go down together
they'll bury them side by side...

My friend Colleen's birthday party is coming up, and as usual she is having another costume party! Me and Tiffany helped her start this tradition back in college, and this year she is going with the theme of Historical Figures.

Here is some of my inspiration...

[[ bonnie parker and clyde barrow. faye dunaway and warren beatty. ]]


Can you tell who me and Pat are going to be?

Bonnie and Clyde! I am super excited about this one! I have been wanting to do it for Halloween, but it is always so overdone... I am going off of costumes from the movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway from 1967, as well as off of actual black and white photographs of the real duo.

To prepare, I watched the movie twice while Pat was out of town, and I thought it was really interesting. I especially liked it when Bonnie recited her poem "The Story of Bonnie & Clyde" towards the end of the movie, indicating that she knew that death was eminent at this point, but did not try to flee Clyde's side. The real Bonnie Parker did in fact write this poem in 1932 when she was jailed, and it was published a year later when found at their abandoned hideout along with many pictures. The movie makes you really sympathize with the characters and think of them in an almost Robin Hood like manner for fighting the big banks, but in reality, their crimes far exceeded simple bank robberies and a few accidental murders. Either way, the unique story of these young Texas natives trying to escape their own poverty, falling in love, evading the police on many occasions, and of course the nature of their gruesome end, certainly makes them some of the most famous "gangsters" of the time, and thats why I chose them to be our historical figures.

She also wrote a poem called "The Story of Suicide Sal" before her own story with a similar feel. Check them out they are really interesting.

I also found some pretty sweet editorial inspirations while I was looking around online. Here is one by Aram Bedrossian (which is my favorite) and another by Peter Lindbergh.